FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What can I do to leave a legacy in my will?
A: Here is a list of things you can do to leave a legacy in your will. For more information, contact the Foundation. Our contact information can be found on our Contact page.
- Have a will and other estate planning documents prepared by a professional.
- Leave a gift in your will for the Des Moines Legacy Foundation, either a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your assets.
- Consider using assets for your charitable gift. These include, but aren't limited to: cash, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, real estate, vehicles, art and jewelry. Such gifts may even provide estate tax savings to your heirs.
- Name the Des Moines Legacy Foundation as a beneficiary of your pension, retirement plan or Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or as a beneficiary and/or owner of your new or existing life insurance policy.
- Remember and honor loved ones with memorial gifts.
- Encourage family and friends to leave gifts to non-profit organizations in their wills and living trusts.
Q: How do I give a gift to a cause I care about?
A: There are many ways to give during your lifetime or by leaving a charitable gift in a will or trust. We urge you to help individually through your business, neighborhood, association, school, scouting group, or service club. Many corporations match employee gifts to charities doubling your contribution to the Des Moines Community! You may wish to make a donation of cash, stocks, bonds, life insurance, or real estate, as a memorial to a loved one or by leaving a gift in your will. IRA's and annuities can also be an excellent source of funds. Within certain guidelines withdrawals are tax-free.
Q: What can be donated?
A: The Des Moines Legacy Foundation needs your financial support today and for the future. Des Moines has a rich history of park and recreation stewardship dating back to the early 1900s when citizens donated land for baseball fields (now Des Moines Field House Park). Donations such as land, play equipment, Senior Center equipment, computers, park maintenance support, plants and trees, athletic equipment, picnic tables and benches, volunteer labor and cash have all been integral to improving parks, recreation and senior services and our quality of life.
Q: Who can help me arrange for a gift?
A: The Des Moines Legacy Foundation can help you arrange your gift. Please contact the Foundation. Our contact information can be found on our Contact page.
Q: Is my gift tax deductible?
A: Yes. Because the Des Moines Legacy Foundation is a non-profit organization you can receive tax benefits from your gift.
Q: Can I leave a gift to recognize or honor a specific person or purpose?
A: A gift is a wonderful way to recognize someone who made a difference in your life. You may also specify to which program, project, or community facility your gift will be directed.