- Past Accomplishments
- Projects 2012
The Des Moines Legacy Foundation is active in the development of local parks, recreation and activities for Des Moines residents of all ages.
Daisy Sonju Community Garden
Opened in the spring of 2011, Des Moines’ first ever community garden is a combination pea patch and community food source. We envision residents of all ages and cultures improving their health by reconnecting to their environment through:
• Building Community.
• Participating in Community Education
• Eating Delicious & Nutritious Foods
The 9-acre park was donated to the City of Des Moines in 1996 by Daisy Sonju and her family, and has forest, two creeks, and an orchard that is being reclaimed from the underbrush. All the produce from the community part of the garden and from the orchard is being donated to the Des Moines Area Food Bank and other local food coalition partners.
Development of Sonju Park is a partnership between community members, Des Moines Legacy Foundation, the City of Des Moines and Parks, Recreation and Senior Services, Des Moines Area Food Bank, and Des Moines Rotary Club.
To donate, volunteer or get more information, contact Parks, Recreation and Senior Services at (206) 870-6527 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provided funds for the purchase of a fourteen passenger bus for use by the Parks, Recreation and Senior Services Department for transporting seniors, teens and youth to a variety of programs and services.
- Provided start up funds to support the new Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market Non- Profit organization.
- Provided $10,000 to the City of Des Moines Arts Commission to commission a mural by artist Chandelle Anderson to honor Des Moines' aging population located on the south wall of the Yee building at S. 219th Street.
- Provided the conduit for community sponsorships for the inaugural Poverty Bay Arts Festival sponsored by the Des Moines Arts Commission and Highline Community College Associated Students.
- Provided the conduit for the 10th annual Fireworks over Des Moines celebration.
- Hosting the 11th annual Bayside Champagne Auction and Brunch with Anthony's HomePort to raise funds for senior programs and services.
- Hosted the 8th annual Sports Night Casino Night to raise funds for recreation youth scholarships in partnership with Des Moines Rotary and the Mt. Rainier Pool Commission.
- Purchased 4 new computers and software for the Des Moines Senior Center computer lab.
- Creating an endowment fund with a "legacy" bequeathed to the Des Moines Legacy Foundation for youth programs.
- Provided the conduit for the Des Moines Pool Metropolitan Park District's learn to swim lessons for low income youth in Des Moines.
- Provided funds for CPR/First Aid training for the thirteen volunteer drivers for the Senior Shuttle transportation program.
- Provided funds for a free recreation program in conjunction with the Des Moines Food Bank's inaugural summer lunch program at Midway Park.
- Provided funds for low income seniors in Des Moines and Normandy Park to receive free dental care through the Medical Teams International Dental Van.
- Purchase funds for weekly fresh fruits and healthy snacks for the senior center Meals on Wheels participants.
- Provided funds to assist Elder Watch with marketing materials for an abuse, awareness & education program for Des Moines and Normandy Park residents.
- Provided funds for Senior Services scholarships for low income seniors to participate in classes, trips and special programs.
- Provided funds in support of the Des Moines Field House Grandstand Renovation Project.
Des Moines Legacy Foundation Note Card Sales
The Des Moines Legacy Foundation sells beautiful note cards highlighting lovely locations and events in our city and in the great Northwest. The cards were designed and all photos taken by Des Moines Legacy Foundation board member (and Des Moines City Council member) Carmen Scott. Cards may be purchased individually or in a package of six. Cards are now on sale at the Des Moines Farmers Market through October 30th. Net proceeds will assist the Des Moines Legacy Foundation in providing youth recreational scholarships, services to senior citizens and support of activities that enhance the quality of life within our community.
ON SALE SOON! The Des Moines Legacy Foundation is selling beautiful 2011 Des Moines Calendars highlighting lovely locations and 2011 events in our city. Calendars are $5 each, available at Des Moines Activity Center, Des Moines Field House and Des Moines City Hall. Net proceeds will assist the Des Moines Legacy Foundation in providing youth recreational scholarships, services to senior citizens and support of activities that enhance the quality of life within our community.
- Grand Stand Project.....Goal to raise $40,000 in support of its renovation and construction
- 10th annual Bayside Brunch in November
- Sponsor for 2008 and 2009 Des Moines Farmers Market
- Providing learn to swim scholarships for low income youth of Des Moines
- Providing supplemental fruits and vegetables for Meals on Wheels clients
- Providing recreation scholarships for low income youth and teens
- Created the 2009 Des Moines Calendar - all proceeds to support low income of all ages in Des Moines
- 7th annual Sports Night in May for youth recreation scholarships
- 08/09 Sponsor for Soundwaves Summer Concert Series
- Selling Des Moines Legacy Foundation note cards. All proceeds to support programs for Des Moines Low Income.